Innovation Technologist, Multimedia Designer, and practice-based researcher at Coventry University. My interests focus on the intersection of technology, innovation, and education, with an emphasis on the benefits of frugal innovation, rapid development, and game-based learning. With over five years’ experience designing frugal approaches to education innovation, I have been involved in a wide variety of international research projects and education initiatives.
I have amassed over twenty years’ experience in the field of multimedia design, with a career spanning a multitude of disciplines, including web development, graphic design, journalism, photography, social media, brand development, and information technology.
As a PhD student at Coventry University, my research focuses on Frugal Education; leveraging accessible and available resources, trailing edge-technologies, and innovative approaches to create engaging, sustainable, and scalable teaching and learning practice.
Current Position: Disruptive Media Learning Technologist – Disruptive Media Learning Lab, Coventry University (March 2015 to present)
- 2020 – Present PhD student: Frugal Education – Coventry University, UK.
- 2000 – 2003 BA Multimedia Design (First Class, Honours), De Montfort University, UK.
- 1998 – 2000 Advanced Computing & Information Technology (Distinction) North Warwickshire
and Hinckley College, UK.
Lewis, M. R., Arnab, S., Morini, L., Clarke, S., Klopfenstein, L., Bogliolo, A., … & Masters, A. (2018, September). Balance Trucks: Using Crowd-Sourced Data to Procedurally-Generate Gameplay within Mobile Games. In 2018 10th International Conference on Virtual Worlds and Games for Serious Applications (VS-Games) (pp. 1-4). IEEE.
Arnab, S., Morini, L., Green, K., Masters, A., & Bellamy-Woods, T. (2017). We are the Game Changers: An Open Gaming Literacy Programme. International Journal of Game-Based Learning (IJGBL), 7(3), 51-62.
Clarke, S., Arnab, S., Morini, L., Wood, O., Green, K., Masters, A., & Bourazeri, A. (2016, October). EscapED: A framework for creating live-action, interactive games for higher/further education learning and soft skills development. In European Conference on Games Based Learning (pp. 968-972). Academic Conferences International Limited.
Arnab, S., Morini, L., Clarke, S., Masters, A., Beaufoy, J., Minoi, J., Mohamad, F., Ling, J., Ragai, F., Simon, M., Sakol, S., Anuar, N. (2017) Creative Culture: A blueprint for Remixing Play for Classroom Learning. Creative Cultures, Newton.
Masters, A., Wood, O. (2018) Game Design Thinking: A Rapid Prototyping Workshop Delivery Guide for Educators. Creative Cultures, Newton.
Awards & Recognition
- Won: Gamification in Education & Learning Award: Gamification Europe (2019) – Project: GameChangers.
- Won: Outstanding Contribution to Gamification Research: Gamification Europe (2018) – Project: EscapED.
- Won: Student Engagement Award: Coventry University Teaching and Learning Excellence Awards – Project: PALS (Pre-Arrival Library Support)
- CreativeCulture 4.0: Teacher Training and Curriculum Implementation of CreativeCulture
Funded by Newton Impact Fund UKRI / British Council. (2020 – 2021) – Practice-based Researcher.
- ACES: Playfulness Towards an Inclusive, Safe and Resilient Society.
Funded by UKRI (ESRC ODA) (2020 – 2023) – Practice-based Researcher.
- CULT_RISK: Cultural Risk in the Organisation in the Globalisation Era
Funded by Erasmus+ Programme (2019 – 2020) – Innovation Technologist, Project Delivery
- Crowds4Roads: CROWD Sensing and Ride Sharing FOR ROAD Sustainability
Funded by European Commission H2020 programme (2016 – 2018) – Practice-based Researcher.
- CreativeCulture: Bridging the Rural Divide in STEM Ed via Culture, Design Thinking, and Gamification.
Funded by Newton Ungku Omar Fund. (2017 – 2019) – Practice-based Researcher.
- The Disrupted Journal of Media Practice
Special issue—conceptualised, edited and performed collectively by Coventry University’s Centre for Disruptive Media (CDM) and the Disruptive Media Learning Lab (DMLL). (2015 – 2018) – Innovation Technologist, Journal Development.
- GameChangers: Open Game-Based Learning Programme and Community
Funded by Higher Education Funding Council (2014 – Present) – Practice-based Researcher.
Gamification in Learning Seminar 2018 – Game Design Thinking: A Rapid Prototyping Workshop for Educators – UNIMAS, Sarawak, Malaysia. (2018)
- Multiple workshops and training sessions delivered for internal and external participants.
- Co-delivery of Coventry University Add+Vantage module in Student-Led Learning (2015).